Reaching out to millennial customers
Today, brands are trying various means to connect to millennial customers (born between 1980-2000), but it seems that the targeted group is not satisfied with the kind of approach the companies are making. That is probably the reason, why conventional marketing strategies targeting millennial customers are failing. However, connecting to millennials is not that difficult. You just need to know how to do it. In a study involving 501 millennials, it was revealed that nearly 62% of the targeted millennials felt that there was a direct relationship between successful content marketing and achieving brand loyalty. The only problem is that the targeted consumers are getting turned off by the quality of the content they are receiving.
Connecting better with millennial customers
Content and context are both important in order to attract the attention of millennial consumers. Here are proven ways for brands to connect better with millennials:
- You must create content that is tailored to the individual’s or group’s common interest. By doing this, you will be able to engage a lot of customers to the brand and company. While designing content, you need to consider the location of the customers, their cultural interests, and their age in mind. You also need a deep understanding of the type of individual they are and their occupation, and what motivates them.
- It is important for a brand to engage well with the customers and solve their problems. Make sure that the brand you endorse mingles well with the customers’ life and solves their everyday problems. That is the reason you need to make sure that your brand is solving the issues of your targeted customers.
- Even if you are doing content marketing, it is important that the contents should not be blatant advertisements. It should not be just an empty marketing ploy. There should be interesting and valuable information for the consumers. Advertisements should be done, but in a surrogate manner.
- The value of long form content is still there. But it is still better to keep things short and simple. The average attention span of people these days is quite low. People often abandon content that is too long and boring. In a survey, around 41% of the millennials confirmed that one of the main reasons they avoid content is because of the length. Remember that most of the target customers would be accessing your content through their mobile devices. So, do not try to feed them long content. Keep the context in mind while writing content.
- Make your content thought provoking and intelligent. You must make sure that it adds value to the customers’ knowledge. Millennials need an emotional reason to connect to. To make your audience connect to your brand, you need to emotionally connect with your audience. This is a good way to build trust and a relationship with them.
- It is important for the content to add value to the knowledge of the customers. It is also equally important for the content used for content marketing to be educational, inspiring, and entertaining. The content should be a positive reflection of the perspective that your brand creates.
- It is helpful for the content to go viral. However, you need to know what gets shared. The contents should be relevant to the circles you are marketing to. Therefore, you need to know the demands and needs of the group of people you are reaching out to. Surveys have revealed that there are around 54% of the millennials who prefer content that are tailored to them based on their age, and 55% of them want content based on their geographic location. Furthermore, about 63% of the millennials prefer content that is customized according to their cultural interests.
Content marketing statistics for millennials
When it comes to marketing content to millennial consumers, you must know that there are different types of platforms from where the millennials consume content. That is the reason why you must prepare content that are tailored to the specific platforms that the users are using. Putting relevant content on the right channel is one of the secrets of success with content marketing.
Recently in a survey by the SocialChorus, some of the most interesting facts have been found. A few of that are given below:
- Around 67% of the Millenials have confirmed that they never open any sponsored stories. They mentioned that they do not trust advertising.
- About 95% of the people who are interrogated for the survey confirmed that they find their friends more reliable source of information for a certain type of product.
- When it comes to getting engaged with posts on social media sites, millennials prefer to stay engaged with their friends’ posts rather than that of a company’s. And statistics say that this number of people account for around 98% as found in the survey.
Improving the effectiveness of your brand for millennial customers is easy once you understand what their social psychology and the value they place on their peers. Every millennial customer is different, in spite of their age grouping; you should segment your marketing and create content that is relevant to their interests. When serving content to millennials, or indeed consumers of any age, always ask how does it serve them? Appealing to the interests of millennial consumers will yield better results than blatant advertisements. In addition to online channels of marketing, millennial consumers can respond to brochures or even mail. Asking for feedback and acting on data from millennial customers will ensure you have a more effective content strategy.